ANR 210: Reflection on my Own Facilitation (Karate)

Knowing we had to lead our own facilitations for ANR 210 scared me, I felt like I didn’t have a plethora of things that I was passionate about wanting to teach or I felt like I would excel at presenting on. However, one idea kept coming back around: karate. My first idea was to coordinate a field trip to my local karate studio, about 15 minutes from campus, to have a group karate class with my sensei. However, this idea had a lot of moving parts where time, schedules, transportation, and money were all things that needed to be considered. In the end, finding a time that worked with everyone to do a field trip wasn’t going to happen. I switched my focus to brainstorming a way to get my sensei to come to campus. However, during class one day, I was talking about my plans for my facilitation with Salo and Harlow, and this is when Salo said something that stuck with me. Salo said that my experience and background with karate was more than enough to teach a class on my own if I was comfortable and that it would also be more impactful. At this point, I hadn’t been to a karate class in two years and had just started going back to classes. I dismissed myself as being an instructor because I felt like I was rusty and that I couldn’t give this practice the justice it deserved. I wanted the class to be perfect.

However, the point of these facilitations isn’t to teach a master class. Some of my fellow co-learners didn’t even have prior experience with some things and they too did research to be able to facilitate. These facilitations were about learning, and nobody was expecting perfection. I think hearing someone say that they believed in my capabilities as an instructor and leader was motivation enough to take on this task that I still thought was daunting, but now knowing that someone was in my corner and was going to enjoy my facilitation any way it went. To prepare I coordinated with a fellow co-learner who worked at IM West to book the turf field during our class, and I also started refreshing the material even more to get to the quality of teaching I wanted this facilitation to be at.

During the facilitation, I don’t think I was nervous. I honestly felt right back at home, and it seemed familiar again. I grew up doing karate for seven years and had a two-year break, so it was nice getting to share something that was such a huge part of my childhood with peers that I love getting to spend time and learn with in class. I felt a sense of confidence and a feeling of pride about karate when teaching. I also hadn’t taught a whole lot of karate so I had a few learning bumps about which angles I should be teaching something from so that everyone could see or how I could re-phrase something to help someone understand a concept. Overall, everyone enjoyed the experience and I felt happy about that. I think what I will take away from this experience is the sentiment that no matter how long you have been away from something, or should I say no matter your skill level, it is never too late to start something or get back into a past passion. I would also take away some newfound confidence in myself as a leader as well and will bring the teaching skills I noticed and learned with me to other jobs and leadership positions. This facilitation also refueled my interest and drive for karate and has made me want to pursue my second-degree blackbelt. As of right now, school is my priority, but this is another goal that I have and will strive to achieve…. no matter how long it takes.

Posted

in

Tags:

Comments